|APB||1998-2001||North American S4||see below|
|AGB||1997-2001?||European S4||C/D-box||No post cat O2 sensors, Bosch MAF, original intake manifold|
|APB||2000-2002||allroad/A6||click here||4B0 - A6, 4Z7 - allroad, ME7.1|
|BEL||2003-2004||North American allroad||4Z7907551S/T/AA||ME7.1.1|
|1997-1999||C-Box||09/97-08/99||Bosch||710||no||6-speed||yes||AGB engine code (Not available in North America), Flush door handles, Early door mirrors, Thin door trim, Analog clock in dash, No plenum chamber cover, Reversed battery terminals, Face down spare, Square side repeaters, Washer nozzles located on top of hood, Manually operated seats, Split (2-piece) Xenons with separate side repeaters|
|2000||A-Box||09/99-05/00||Possibly Al uprights, interchangable with ESP/Hitachi equipped cars but requires engine recode and a Bosch MAF|
|B-Box||710A||Tiptronic||no||Possibly Al uprights, interchangable with ESP/Hitachi equipped cars but requires engine recode and a Bosch MAF|
|2001||H-Box||06/00-09/00||Hitachi||710A||yes||6-speed||yes||Steel uprights, introduction of ESP, interchangable with M-Box but requires cluster recode|
|J-Box||Tiptronic||no||Steel uprights, interchangable with L-Box|
|2001.5||L-Box||09/00-05/01||710B||Revised TBB, updated intake manifold, sport package (w/Al mirrors) avail, Avant avail|
|2002||T-Box||06/01-07/01||Interchangable with M-Box|
|AA-Box||Tiptronic||Interchangable with L-Box|
- The build date cutoff for 2001 to 2001.5 is inconsistent and sometimes arbitrary. Both '01 and '01.5 cars have been reported as 09/00 build.
- Manufacturer Year is inconsistent and sometimes arbitrary.
- It is a common misconception that 2001.5 introduced updated oil lines. There is no conclusive evidence of this.
- poll here: http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2447926.phtml
- There is some confusion with cars near the 5/00 build mark (none verified)
- Some 2001 cars came with Bosch MAFs (and presumably A-Box ECUs).
- There is some confusion with cars near the 09/00 build mark (none verified)
- Some are 2001, some are 2001.5
- Some 2001.5 came with H-boxes and do not appear to have F-hoses
- Some 2001.5 are reported to have mismatching wheel/trunk badges
- Andy Whittaker's UK 1999 S4 seems to have a C box as too does Nilesh "Ram" Ramrattan's MTM Stage IV car (also UK spec).
- The L and AA box information may be incorrect. Please mail me or post a comment in the talk section.
- If the OEM equipment on your car does not fit into this table and you are the original owner, please post a comment in the talk section.
- If the OEM equipment on your car does not fit into this table and you are not the original owner, it is highly likely that some of the parts have been swapped out.
Compatibility with A6 2.7ts
- C5 A6 ecu's work on a S4 using a bench flasher in boot-mode to bypass the IMMO-EEPROM.
|4B0 907 551 K||'00||APB ME7.1||6sp|
|4B0 907 551 P||'01|
|4B0 907 551 AA|
|4B0 907 551 AK||'02|
|4B0 907 551 L||'00||tip|
|4B0 907 551 Q||'01|
|4B0 907 551 T|
|4B0 907 551 AL||'02|
|4B0 907 551 R||??||AZA ME7.1||6sp|
|4B0 907 551 AD/AH||'03-'04||??|
|4B0 907 551 P||??|
|4B0 907 551 S|
Compatibility with allroad 2.7ts
|4Z7 907 551||'01||APB ME7.1||6mt||APB S4 compatible|
|4Z7 907 551 X||'01||6mt (x denotes reman)|
|4Z7 907 551 K||'01||tip|
|4Z7 907 551 L||'01, '02||6mt|
|4Z7 907 551 M||'02||tip|
|4Z7 907 551 S||'03||BEL ME7.1.1||cross codable tip/6sp||BEL ar/A6 compatible|
|4Z7 907 551 T||'03|
|4Z7 907 551 AA||'04|
Full list here:
North American Production numbers
2002 is build date of 06/01 to 07/01
B5 S4 Avant: Audi Import Figures (U.S. Market Only.)
|Model Year||Total Imported||Automatic||6-Spd Manuals|
- Audi did sell some B5/S4 Avants in 2000CY, but they were early '01MY models.
- Audi is not able to differentiate between 2001MY and 2001.5 MY S4 Avants in their U.S. Market Import / Sales records.
- Audi did not produce a 2003MY B5/S4 Avant. However, there were a few "left-over" 2002MY units sold in 2003CY.
Source: Audi's "Product Support Engineering" office in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
AoA has confirmed the following "U.S. Import" figures for "Silver" B5/S4 Avants:
- B5/S5 Avants in Silver (Total 2001 & 2002 Models): 672 Vehicles.
- B5/S4 Avants in Silver with 6-Spd Manual (Total 2001 & 2002 Models): 399 Vehicles.
- B5/S4 Avants in Silver with 6-Spd Manual (2001 Model Year only): 358 Vehicles.
Of these 358 Silver 2001 B5/S4 Avant 6-Speed Manuals....
- 24 were '01 B5/S4 Avant Silver 6-Spd Manuals with "Silver Interiors".
- 51 were '01 B5/S4 Avant Silver 6-Spd Manuals with "2-Tone / Black & Silver Interiors".
- 283 were '01 B5/S4 Avant Silver 6-Spd manuals with "Black Interiors".
Source: Audi's "Product Support Engineering" office in Auburn Hills, Michigan. (Silverarrow)