Definition files allow raw binary data to be represented logically. They are the critical link between programmers and tuners - neither is much use without the other.
"Because there's money in selling these codes (sometimes upwards of $50,000), the industry has little incentive to embrace the community" Malicious actors have damped public and community progress for decades and "...wont be motivated to share their findings" (p.64-65, Smith)
*.kp - WinOLS
- - Rare in public.
- - Purchased or leaked files
- - Linked to expensive software
*.xdf - TunerView
- - Common in public
- - Can be created from *.kp files via scripts
- - Freeware and community driven
*.ols - WinOLS project
- - contains definitions, original bin, and project bin packaged together
- - *.bin data can be extracted via hex editor
*.a2l/ Damos - includes definitions of all values
- - .a2l general term - ASAM MCD-2 MC standard
- - "Damos" is ETAS Ascet (Bosch) specific - OE Software
- - Ideally a leak from Mfg service department, or OE tuner.
- - Rarely does it contain every map or byte/bit value.
- Frunktionsrahmen block diagrams are ETAS Ascet screenshots
- ETAS is 100-percent subsidiary of Robert Bosch GmbH